Explore Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls Facts

Home > Victoria Falls Facts

 Victoria Falls


Victoria Falls, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is a natural wonder that captivates travellers from around the globe. Here are some captivating Victoria Falls Facts that highlight the magnificence of this iconic destination:

Africa Travel Tours first impressions, experience lasting ones.

  • Size and Scale: Victoria Falls is one of the largest waterfalls on Earth, spanning approximately 1.7 kilometres (1.1 miles) in width and plunging to a depth of about 108 meters (355 feet).
  • Name Origins: Named by British explorer David Livingstone in honour of Queen Victoria, the falls are locally known as “Mosi-oa-Tunya,” which translates to “The Smoke that Thunders” in the indigenous Tonga language, a fitting description of the falls’ thunderous roar and towering mist.
  • Mist and Rainbows: The sheer volume of water cascading over the falls creates a perpetual mist, which can be seen from miles away. This mist gives rise to frequent rainbows, providing breathtaking photo opportunities.
  • The Zambezi River: Victoria Falls is formed by the Zambezi River, the fourth-longest river in Africa, which flows through six countries before reaching its dramatic descent at the falls.
  • You Can See The Falls From Two Countries: 75% of the Falls can be seen from the Zimbabwean side, while the remaining 25% is visible from the Zambian side. While Zimbabwe has had negative media attention in recent years, locals assure visitors that it is incredibly safe, and typically makes for a more superior viewing experience.
  • The Falls Create “Moonbows”: A rainbow is beautiful; a moonbow is a special and unique phenomenon which only occurs in two places around the world, with Victoria Falls being one of them. A lunar rainbow happens when the light of the full moon hits the Falls, and it is a sight to behold.
  • Adventurous Activities: Beyond its natural beauty, Victoria Falls offers a playground for thrill-seekers. Visitors can engage in activities such as white-water rafting, bungee jumping from the Victoria Falls Bridge, and exhilarating helicopter flights over the falls.
  • Flora and Fauna: The surrounding rainforest is home to a rich diversity of plant and animal species, including unique flora like the “walking fern.” Wildlife enthusiasts can spot baboons, vervet monkeys, and various bird species.
  • Low Water vs. High Water Seasons: The volume of water at Victoria Falls varies dramatically throughout the year. The dry season (September to December) offers the best views, while the wet season (January to August) showcases the falls in their full, thundering glory.
  • Local Culture: The indigenous people of the region, the Tonga, have a deep spiritual connection to the falls. Visitors can explore the local culture and traditions through guided tours and interactions with indigenous communities.

Victoria Falls is a testament to the raw power and beauty of nature. As you plan your journey to this iconic destination, these Victoria Falls Facts will only deepen your appreciation for the wonders that await you at Victoria Falls.

Make it memorable

Suggested Packages

Tailor Made Tour

Customize Your Trip




Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in


184 Mayfield St. Hopewell
Junction, NY 12533